If you feed them they will come? There is something about food that helps draw youth to a youth group meeting. It is partly because Jr. and Sr. high students like to eat. But more so I think it has to do with relationships.
At our meals youth have a chance to sit down beside new friends and old. They talk about their day, about their week. They show photos on their cell phones, discuss upcoming class projects, meet new people, laugh, joke, plan, and just share life together.
When our group was small it was easy to for me to pick something up, or for one parent to bring a meal for the night. As the group has grown we now are having cooking teams of 2-3 come together to provide a meal. One of the most often asked questions is what do the youth like to eat.
My meal coordinator is a wonderful blessing. She works to make sure we have meals covered for every night. Last year we had every Sunday and Wednesday meal set up, served and cleaned up by our awesome teams of parents.
I asked her to provide a list of some of the most popular and easy meals. Here they are…
1. Penna pasta and jar of Alfredo sauce with green salad/fruit and dessert
2. Baked potatoes with toppings and dessert
3. Sandwich tray, chips/dips, fruit/dessert
4. Chicken spaghetti, green salad/fruit, dessert
5. Chili (homemade or canned from Sams), fritos, cheese, green salad/fruit, dessert
6. Sloppy joes or BBQ from Sams, green salad/fruit, dessert
7. Taco pile ups with chips, ground meat, cheese, lettuce, etc. and dessert.
8. Frozen lasagne (Sams), salad, dessert.
There are tons more ideas out there. If you have a favorite meal youth youth group enjoys and works well for large groups please share it in the comments or on Facebook!